These little cod bites are perfect for little children, that are usually fussy with eating fish, or adult picky eaters. They are very fluffy on the inside and the fish taste is not strong at all. You can have them as a side dish or main with some veggies, chips and why not, some sauce to dip them in.
Ingredients & How-to
The recipe for the batter is quite simple. All you need is self-raising flour, one egg, water and of course the fish. I usually get a skinless cod fillet for the recipe but you could also try it with haddock or pollock if you don’t have any cod. Make sure the fillets are skinless or remove the skin yourself as it will not taste nice in the bites if it’s left on. Cut the fillet into half finger-sized pieces like in the image below.
I usually don’t add any salt in my batter as the cod has a little bit of a salty taste anyway and also cause I’m sharing this with my little girl (children’s daily salt intake is quite low). As for the flour, you could use self-raising flour like in the recipe or plain with a teaspoon of baking powder.
Make sure the oil is well heated in the frying pan before scooping the batter in. You could test it by dropping a little bit of batter, if it sizzles then it’s ready. Use a tablespoon to scoop the batter and drop it in the oil. Leave for 3-4 minutes and then flip. As the bites will be very oily when taking out of the frying pan, place them on a plate lined with a paper towel so most of the oil will be absorbed. Leave them to drain for a couple of minutes before serving.
You can have these cod fillet bites as a side dish, appetizer or even as a main with some veggies and chips. You could add a few drops of lemon juice or a dip like mayo or tartar at the side.
Subscribe to my channel by clicking here »
Cod Fillet BitesThese little cod bites are perfect for little children, that are usually fussy with eating fish, or adult picky eaters. They are very fluffy on the inside and the fish taste is not strong at all. You can have them as a side dish or main with some veggies, chips and why not, some sauce to dip them in.
- 1 cod fillet (around 150gr)
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- salt (optional *)
- oil for frying
- Cut the fish into half finger-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, make the batter by mixing the flour, egg, water and salt (optional).
- Add the fish in the batter and mix until all is well combined.
- Half fill a frying pan with vegetable oil and heat over medium to high heat.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop and drop the batter into the oil.
- Leave the first batch for 3-4 minutes until golden and then flip to cook on the other side.
- Leave for 3-4 minutes and then remove using a slotted spoon. Drain over a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
* If you are making these for little ones be mindful of the salt. Cod can be quite salty sometimes so perhaps you want to avoid adding any in the batter.
Nutrition Info (per serving)
I am not a nutritionist. The nutrition information has been calculated using an on-line calculator, and is intended for information and guidance purposes only. If the nutrition information is important to you, you should consider calculating it yourself, using your preferred tool.